What Is MTF Top Surgery?
Male to female or MTF top surgery is a procedure to change a flat male chest into full female breasts. It’s a step to help female transgender people feel more like their body is in agreement with their minds. Because the male and female anatomies differ, this is more than just slapping in implants. Some details that you discuss with your physician require that you give the process some thought. Questions your Manhattan plastic surgeon asks can help you decide your new look, such as:
- Silicone or saline implants?
- Where are the incisions made?
- What size do you want your breasts to become?
While relatively few trans people have genital reconstruction, breast enlargement is a more common procedure. The cost is reasonable and the outcome is noticeable, with little time away from your normal activities. Your doctor is trained to help you pick the right solutions for your body. For the best results in New York City, the trans community relies on the expertise of Dr. David Shokrian at Millennial Plastic Surgery.
I have absolutely nothing but amazing things to say about my experience at Millenial! I was turned down by a few surgeons for their lack of knowledge with trans bodies before I was able to get consultation with Millenial. Their experience in feminizing the body with lipo 360 and bbl sold me and it was worth the wait! So so happy I decided to go with Millenial the staff was incredible
This place was very good. The kindness and helpfulness of the staff was awesome. I loved Jess and my massages from Maribel..she was so good I wanted an 8 ounce bottle of milk and my bed after. Overall Dr. Shokrian was very honest in what he could do and what he couldn't which made my choice even easier.
Sophia helped me tremendously if it wasn’t for her , I probably would have never gone through with my surgery! She made me feel so comfortable and like she genuinely cared for me ! I love my results so far and dr Shokrian is AMAZING with his work. I can finally say I’m happy and confident with myself. Thanks to everyone there but especially SOPHIA .
Who Is a Candidate for MTF Top Surgery?
Doctors may have varying prerequisites for doing this type of surgery. The requirements also vary within each state. But the general conditions that you usually need to meet include:
- Being an appropriate legal age for surgery, which is 18 in New York
- Having any mental or emotional concerns well managed, if they exist
- Being diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and having it professionally documented
- Having realistic expectations for what MTF top surgery can do for you and your self-esteem
MTF top surgery is momentous — physically and spiritually — for a trans woman. It can be the first and sometimes only change you may make to your physical body. Through this transformative procedure, you can finally feel you’re becoming the woman you’ve always been. Breast implants are a necessary way for you to express your true being. It also makes it easier to live your life as a woman.
We can’t wait to meet you! We offer comprehensive consultations with Dr. Shokrian, and his team both virtually and in person.212-421-7123
What Are Some of the Options for MTF Top Surgery?
Breast augmentation can take many forms, depending on what your desired effect is and what works best with your individual body. Your physician discusses the different types of implants, such as:
- Saline breast implants, filled with sterile salt solution that’s safe because any leakage is naturally absorbed by your body, which is rare anyway
- Silicone implants, filled with a silicone gel to make them feel more natural
- Structured implants, also filled with saline, but containing an inner structure that makes them feel more natural
- Smooth implants, better for natural movement, but may cause noticeable texture compared to breast skin
- Form-stable breast implants, aka Gummy bear implants, that hold their shape, even if the shell ruptures
- Textured implants, which are less likely to move out of position
- Round implants, for a fuller look and less likely to rotate out of position
You and your Midtown surgeon discuss which of these alternatives are right for you and your body. Some have more risk involved than others, so listen to your doctor to be completely informed about all the options you have.
What Preparations Do I Need for Top Surgery?
As with any medical procedure, you can make certain preparations. Your surgeon lets you know what you need to do prior to the top surgery, such as:
- Stopping any blood thinners and anti-inflammatory medicines
- Quitting smoking
- Completing a medical survey of your general health
- Adjusting some of your prescribed medications
- Dressing for ease of changing after your operation
- Securing transportation for leaving the hospital
You must be physically and mentally prepared for this life-changing event. Get your mind set on the surgery; know what to expect. Finally, smoking inhibits every aspect of healing, so you may be denied the procedure if you continue to smoke.
What Should I Ask My Doctor about MTF Top Surgery?
Do your homework and be prepared with questions to ask your plastic surgeon at your consultation. This is the time to develop a level of trust with your Manhattan doctor so you can enter into the process relaxed and assured. You may want to ask:
- What hospital he’s associated with and where it’s located
- Whether he has any before and after photos to give you an idea of his work
- How long your recovery will take
You should feel completely informed and comfortable about your transformation. Be sure that every question you have is answered to your satisfaction.
How Long Does MTF Top Surgery Take?
Top surgery starts with an in-depth appointment with your doctor. Since your NYC plastic surgeon has extensive familiarity with the human body’s muscles, tendons and fatty tissue, he uses this expertise to determine what options are right for you. The procedure and follow-up for MTF top surgery typically include:
- Surgery that takes between one and three hours
- Bandages applied immediately after surgery
- Support bra or elastic bandages provided to minimize swelling
- Instructions on how to care for your incisions and yourself
- Follow-up visits with your doctor, usually within a couple days and then regularly for as long as you need
Listen to your doctor’s directives and closely follow his instructions. The incisions are delicate and must not be stretched, bumped or abraded. The scars will fade, but not disappear completely, which is why they’re made in areas where they hide well, like in the folds of skin under your breasts. But the end result should start to alleviate any gender dysphoria you may have felt.
How Much Does MTF Top Surgery Cost?
The cost of the procedure depends on the cost of each aspect of the entire process. The actual surgery costs start at $5,000 and go up from there. The most frequent expenses associated with MTF top surgery are the cost of the:
- Tests and radiographs
- Surgeon’s skills
- Surgical suite
- Prescriptions for medications
- After-care specialized clothing
Some insurance companies cover the expense of top surgery, others may cover some of the costs, while others may not pay for any of it. Talk to a representative from your insurance company to inquire about cost-saving measures. Remember that you must be comfortable with your preferred surgeon and his staff. At Millennial Plastic Surgery, you may find financing options to help if required. The cost is secondary to your peace of mind.
What Are the Risks and Complications Associated with MTF Top Surgery?
There is little danger related to this type of surgery. Most problems, like pain and discomfort that can last for a few days up to a week or so, are treated in the comfort of your home with medication. The other most common threats are the same as with any kind of surgery, such as:
- Infection of surgical site
- Insufficient healing of incision
Following your plastic surgeon’s instructions alleviate most of these medical issues and relying on an experienced surgeon reduces your risks of complications drastically. Some trans women have loss of sensation to their nipples, but this is a rare occurrence.
You do need to make plans on how you’re going to convalesce too. Healing completely can take months. Your part in your own recovery will result in the best outcome for you.
What’s the Recovery Like from Top Surgery?
The pain reported from this procedure is usually minor and only lasts a few days. You must keep the incision clean and dry for 48 hours. Some other basic steps for the best recovery consist of:
- Wearing a surgical bra or other specialized garment for about a week, then transitioning to a sports-type bra
- Bathing or showering without letting the shower directly hit your breasts
- Following up with your surgeon after about one week
- Avoiding excessive or extreme motion of arms and chest
- Resisting the urge to get back to the gym or doing any strenuous activity or rigorous workouts until you’re cleared by your doctor
- Using scar cream if your doctor recommends it to reduce the appearance of leftover scars
Discuss with your doctor when it’s appropriate to start certain physical activities, including sex. Your recovery is dependent on how well you care for yourself and follow your surgeon’s directions.
Why Should I Have MTF Top Surgery?
Every human being should have the freedom to be who they are. In the U.S, this is changing a little more slowly than other places in the world, but it’s becoming more and more acceptable over time. Male to female top surgery can play an enormous part of your physical and emotional transformation. You’ll look more in tune with your inner self, and most trans women feel more at ease with less gender dysphoria and depression.
Although it can be somewhat daunting at first, Dr. Shokrian and the amazing staff at Millennial Plastic Surgery make you feel relaxed and at home. Contact them as soon as you decide you want to talk to someone with lots of experience working with the New York trans community. You can start the adventure to the new you, knowing you’re in skilled and empathetic hands.